Friday, August 13, 2010

Baby Universe

The other day I was looking through the files on my computer, trying to decide if it would be okay to just delete stuff, or if I would have to burn the block down to hide traces of my activities. I was going to burn the block down, but I saw that the house next to me has kind of a neat garden out back, and I didn't really want to ruin it, so I decided to write a message on my blog instead.
Actually, the message on my blog – that I haven't written yet – came about after I briefly thought about my last post...the one about space, and how much of it there is between my ears. I also noticed a few familiar words like “the”, “6” and “.” One other word that caught my eye was “universe”. After a slight battle, I managed to get my eye back from the aggressive final syllable, but not before a strange notion popped into the cavern inside my skull, and pushed aside the echoes enough to give me a complete thought. Want to know what it was? No, you don't but I'll tell you. It was “I live in a black hole.”
Sure, I suppose you could take that figuratively if you want. The black hole of debt is sucking you into its pit of destruction. The black hole of politics is compacting your soul into a nonexistent piece of...well I guess it's nonexistent. The black hole of your family is squeezing you into the abyss of proper behaviour...either way, I'm not speaking metaphorically. What if I'm living in a real black hole? Before you start tracking my IP address so you can dispatch the authorities, let me explain.
We know that matter falls into black holes, and is never seen again. We know that light is also sucked into black holes. We theorize that a black hole is formed by the death of a star. Well maybe it is. But I don't think a black hole is really a black hole. And now, my explanation of my madness:
We are in a black hole. This universe that we see...it's really not the entire universe. It's just what's compacted into the centre of this black hole that we live in. Imagine an atom. The nucleus is so small, that if it had eyes, and had the capability to see like us, it wouldn't even be able to comprehend the size of one human body. It would think that it's impossible for anything to be more vast, and more unexplainable than the area from an ankle to a knee joint. Proportionately, an atom trying to travel from the dirt under my finger nail to the dirt on my first knuckle joint, would be like us traveling across the world. (Maybe not exactly, but you see my point.) So now imagine that we are mere particles at the centre of a black hole. The Earth is an electron, and our sun is our nucleus. People are like the quarks of an atom. So that would make all the rest of our visible planets and stars like other particles. In our eyes, they are vast distances apart, but that's only because we're smaller than a neutron in comparison.
So what are these black holes that we see? A little hole in the container that holds our universe. It's like we're being held in a plastic bag full of water. Our little particle universe is inside this bag. What's on the outside of the bag is the real world. A black hole is like a little tear in the bag. So why do things fall into the hole and are never seen again? Well I think it's obvious why they are never seen again. They're out in the real world. But what's with all that suction? You ever put a little pin prick in a bag of water? The pressure from inside causes water to shoot out like crazy. We know that's going to drag stuff inside with it. In our case it's the pressure of space shooting toward the hole. That's why even other stars or planets can be taken into it. Now don't get me wrong, there are some properties that are a little but different from a water bag hole. But it makes a good analogy (anybody ever notice the root word of analogy? Just curious.).
So what's on the other side of the lining of our universe? A woman factory. How should I know? But if you have any questions besides the ones I've already answered, feel free to write them down. You could even post them for me to answer if you're feeling especially motivated at the time.

1 comment: